Sunday, August 24, 2014

Easy Hike to Tamolitch Pool on the McKenzie Pass

Where we went and why

We had planned on a hike to Tam MacArthur Rim today, but we woke up late and we decided that we would go to Tamolitch Pool instead. It was shorter and had less elevation. It was a nice cool day and we got it done before the humidity really got bad.

The picture is not upside down. This is a reflection in the pool. 

How to get there

It's near milepost 11 on the McKenzie Pass in Oregon. Turn when you see the sign on the road. Follow the road over the bridge and then turn right. Park on the right and head up the road to the trail head marker. (Edited to correct which pass it was on. I had Williamette listed before. I need to learn my geography better.)


The Hike

This will be a short post since I already wrote this once, but something went wonky when I put the pictures in and I had to delete it. The hike had a lot of ups and downs, but it was always pretty gentle and it never lasted for a long time. We walked along the river for the entire hike, but we couldn't always see the river. We could hear it though. After about 2 miles and two hundred feet of elevation, we got to the pool. The place was gorgeous! 



The trail had some rocks in roots along it. It was also quite busy. If you go, you should go early in the morning or it might be hard to park. There are no bathrooms here. We both agreed that this was our new favorite hike. The hike book that we found this in showed a picture of a waterfall here, but there wasn't one the day we went. We were there in August. 

The Video


BodyMedia Screen Shot

Woot Woot! It shows I burned over 1400 calories on the hike! I even got 9 minutes of vigorous activity.


Runtastic Screen Shot

This is my Runtastic Map. It ended 22 minutes early. My phone lost GPS. One of these days, I'll get something that works properly!


MapMyHike Screen Shot

This shows that I went 5.5 miles. Runtastic shows 4 and the book said 4. It's all so confusing. 

BackCountry Navigator Screen Shot

This one also shows 5.5 miles! Grrrrr. 





No comments:

Post a Comment