Thursday, August 27, 2015

Trapped in a Fat Chick's Chicken Salad Peppers


Trapped in a Fat Chick's Chicken Salad Peppers

Last week, I ate chicken salad all week for lunches. It went well, but I was finding myself low on points at the end of the day. I wanted to stick with the chicken salad theme, but I didn't want to put it in a taco shell that was going to suck up 3 of my precious points! I decided to stuff the chicken salad into red bell peppers! Red is my favorite color. I can tolerate orange, but I do not like the yellow or the green. I've never had the purple, but I want to try it some day! I looked around online for a chicken salad recipe that looked interesting to go into peppers, but they all seemed to have something sweet and I didn't want anything sweet. I decided to come up with my own recipe! 

1-1/2 Chicken breasts shredded
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped carrots
3/4 cup chopped red onion
1 cup Fat free Greek yogurt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp celery salt
1 tsp ground mustard

Don't be afraid to get your hands dirty on this one! Just dig in and mix all of the ingredients together. Once it was all mixed together really well, I divided it evenly into 1 cup Pyrex glass containers. I grabbed one container each morning and tossed it into my lunch bag. I cut the peppers each morning and put them into a zipper sandwich bag. I stuffed the peppers at work during lunch. I didn't think they would keep well in the fridge if they were all stuffed on Sunday. 

I used my new Ninja food processor to shred the chicken. That thing went through that chicken breast like a knife through butter! I would have spent forever sitting there shredding it with a couple forks, but the food processor did it sooooooooo fast! It also got it into smaller pieces which was nice. I actually made a whole package of chicken breasts and shredded it all. What didn't go into the recipe went into vacuum sealed bags and into the freezer to make life easier in the future! I'm on a chicken salad kick, so  having the shredded chicken will be nice! 

Overall, I was happy with the results. It could have used a bit more chicken and maybe a little less of the yogurt, but it worked. The peppers made it easy to eat without needing bread! The peppers also added a bunch of extra bulk to help keep me full for the rest of the day. It took me my full 30 minutes of lunch to eat these things and all of that chewing burns calories! The tacos from last week only took about 10 or 15 minutes to eat. That's a lot less chewing. I've heard that eating slower can help you feel fuller as well. I remember being hungry a lot last week and being out of points at the end of the day, but this week has been great. I dropped the 3 points for the taco shell and without the dried cranberries and almonds, I dropped some more points out of the chicken salad. Only the yogurt and the chicken count for points in this concoction!

No comments:

Post a Comment