Thursday, May 22, 2014

Leslie Sansone Walk Slim 4 Fast Miles Review


What I picked and why

This week, I set out to workout every day and only allowed myself one 1 mile or 10 minute workout plus I needed to do an hour long or 4 mile workout. Today was Thursday and I hadn't done my four mile/1 hour workout. I knew that I wanted to save my 10 mile/1 mile workout for Friday, so that meant that I needed to find a 4 mile or 1 hour workout to do. Leslie Sansone's Walk Slim 4 Fast Miles was the first one that I came across and I was running out of time so I picked it. It wasn't a full 60 minutes, but it was one of the walks with "boosted walking" (translation....jogging). 

Equipment

There was no equipment needed for this workout. There was boosted walking, but no walk boosters.

The Workout

The workout started off with a normal warm up. She went over the four basic moves which are walking in place, side steps, kicks and knee lifts. After about five minutes, things picked up a bit. She then explained the set up of the workout. It involved five interval segments. The segments included 3 minutes of fast walking and 2 minutes of boosted walking (jogging). During the fast walking segments, we did all of the four basic moves again, but also included double side steps, double knee lifts, side steps going forward four counts and back for counts, kick backs and tap outs. At one point, the tap outs turned into a bit of a lunge. I was able to keep up with these which is still a pretty new thing for me. I would always fall behind during those segments.The boosted walking segments started out with us walking forward two counts and back two counts. After we did that for a bit, she started jogging forward and backward. She then had us jog in place. She included front kicks, knee lifts and leg swings during the boosted sections. The knee lifts and front kicks had a bit of a bounce between them to keep it boosted. Two of the walkers kept it low impact by walking quickly and adding arm movements during the kicks and knee lifts. During the leg swings, the low impact people did side steps. I've done the leg swings before, but this time it went a little better for me. You do a bounce step on the plant leg while the other leg does a bit of a leg lift out to the side. It's hard to explain, but I was able to keep up even though I felt like I was falling all over the place. Between the 3rd and 4th miles, she suggested a water break. It probably explains that weird dip in my workout arc below. After the five intervals were done, the workout slowed down and we began the cool down process. She said we were keeping it fast because we weren't in the cool down yet, but she really slowed it down. During the actual cool down, the timer stayed up longer. She walked around and introduced all of the walkers. I was a bit surprised that the timer ticked down to the last second while she was talking with her daughter. She always has some sort of a stretch at the end. She did end up having one, but it was after the timer clicked all the way down. 

The workout had a count down timer that came up every five minutes. I'm not a fan of the count down clocks, but this one was only on the screen for about 30 seconds at a time, so I got over it quickly. The group of walkers was really squished in together. They had this huge stage, but they were all in this really small area. That was pretty weird. It made me feel a bit claustrophobic for them! I liked the workout, but she was a bit off with the cueing in some segments and the filming/editing wasn't done so well. There were times where you could see some of the cameras in the shot. 

BodyMedia Screen Shots

Here are my BodyMedia screen shots. I got up to 19.3 calories per minute during one of the jogging sessions. The other jogging sessions weren't as intense. I'm not sure if I didn't put as much oomph into them or what, but I just didn't get that burn again. The calorie burn overall wasn't as high as her Fast & Firm 4 Really Big Miles, but it was only down by about 60 calories.


No comments:

Post a Comment