Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Leslie Sansone Walk Slim Fast & Firm 4 Really Big Miles


This was my first four mile walking workout. I wasn't planning on doing a 4 mile yet, but Netflix sent it to me instead of the numerous 3 mile walks that were ahead of it in my queue. I'm doing the one month free trial for Netflix discs. I'm not sure that I'll continue with it once the trial is over. They do have a ton of Leslie Sansone DVDs, but due to shipping times, I probably won't be able to do more than 1 or 2 per week so that would make them about $1.00 per disc. I can get stuff on Roku for less than that per workout. 

The DVD gives you the choice of which mile to start at. I selected the beginning of the workout and did all four miles. This is one of the older workouts and has some familiar faces in it. I recognized a couple people, but only know Mary Kaye and Carol by name. Mary Kaye led the walk for about 10 minutes or so. There is one man in this workout. His name is Steve. Leslie talks to him fairly often. He was rarely going in the same direction as everyone else. I found that incredibly distracting! I'm getting sidetracked though.

So the workout starts with the four basic steps. You do marching in place, side steps, knee lifts and front kicks. Once you're all warmed up, you add your arms into the mix. Variations on the four basic steps include walking forward two counts and back two counts, tap outs, walk 3 and tap 1, kick backs, double side steps, double knee lifts, four knee lifts, jogging forward 2 counts and back 2 counts, front kicks with a bouncy step and mambas. For the mambas, you step forward with one foot, the step in place with the other foot and then step back with the first foot. It's kind of hard to explain, but it was interesting and actually a little fun since it was a bit dance-like without needing complicated steps. 

This workout uses the stretchie band, but I didn't have one so I didn't use it. I still did the hand movements while she did the stretchie band part and my shoulders felt it for sure! The stretchie band is in the fourth mile. She alternates between doing regular steps and marching in place while doing the stretchie band stuff. There was one spot where she had you put your stretchie band under your foot to do bicep curls with the band. Since I didn't have the band, I just did side steps while doing the bicep curls without resistance. 

Overall, I really enjoyed this workout. There was a good mix of the four basic moves plus some additional things to mix it up. I was pretty happy that I made it through the entire workout. The only thing that I didn't like was the guy who was just not in time with everyone else. 

Below are my BodyMedia and Nexercise screen shots for the day. The big tall wide blob on the left is the workout. All of the blue blips except the last couple are from my walking around at work. Tonight was my night to cook so towards the right, you can see a couple tall blue blips with a smaller blip between them. That was me cooking dinner. I love to see how many calories I burn while cooking. It makes household chores less of a chore when I know I'm getting a bonus burn! This workout gave me 22 minutes of vigorous activity which gave me a checkmark for the day for vigorous activity! That was a first for me. I was pretty stoke about that! 



No comments:

Post a Comment