Sunday, September 3, 2017

Easyish Hike to White River Falls near Tygh Valley, Oregon



We finally went on a hike! My physical therapist told me that I had to hike this weekend, so we did! We drover over an hour to get there and over an hour to get back, and it was only a 30 minute hike, but whatever! It was a new to us location and it had a waterfall! I absolutely loved this waterfall! They call it a two tier water fall. You can see the big tier at the top of the pic and the smaller one at the bottom of the pic, but there are also some mini tiers too so, it's a pretty impressive place. Hubby wasn't as excited as I was over it though. The pic he saw online had water falling across the entire top tier, but there wasn't as much water the day we went so there's the water you can see in this pic above and then some more to the right in the pic below.



The park is about 35 miles south of the Dalles. You'll have to use Google to figure out how to get there because I'm horrible with directions. There was plenty of parking available the day that we went, but I'm not sure what it's normally like there. It was pretty smokey out the day we went. You can see how ugly the sky is in the pic above. The park isn't very big. It's pretty much a parking lot, a bathroom, a couple picnic tables and the trail to the waterfall.



On the way into the park, there was a sign about the mosquito population. It was just a white poster board kind of thing that someone wrote on with markers. I'm not sure who put it up or who keeps it updated, but there were all sorts of revisions about how bad the mosquitoes were. We didn't see any when we went on 9/3/2017.



The bathrooms are normal bathrooms with plumbing and running water! No vault toilets in this state park! There was even a sink with soap. They even had paper towels. There was plenty of toilet paper too! Sometimes, it's the little things that get me excited.



You can see the top tier of the falls from the viewpoint near the parking lot, but you need to walk down the path to see the lower falls. It's worth walking down. It starts off paved, but that doesn't last long. So you switch over to rocky packed dirt. It's a bit steep at times too. It's a pretty short walk down to see the lower falls. I think like an eighth of a mile or so to get you the view for the top pic. From that point, you can see the old power plant down lower. It's another eighthish mile down to the power plan. However, it's horrible stairs and more steep rocky parts to get there. The length of the hike is why I tagged this as easyish. It's super short. It's steep and rocky though. I had my hiking poles. Hubby didn't use his.



We thought we were going to be able to walk around the power plant and get up closer to the waterfall, so we went down the crazy stairs. There was a bunch of Caution Do Not Cross tape up though, so we couldn't get around the building. We really wanted to get closer, but there are people who stay at the park and we were afraid we might get in trouble if we crossed the tape. We're chickens! Oh well. They also had a sign at the beginning of the hike letting us know that we weren't supposed to go to certain area. I totally missed the rattlesnake sign the first time I looked at that one! OMG!



The building was interesting. Hubby got some good shots inside of it, but I didn't take any.


We both were happy that we went and it was a good test for my leg. I did really well in terms of strength and lack of pain. I was so focused on the fact that I couldn't breath so I didn't really spend any time worrying about my foot. Without my hiking poles, I would not have gotten through this one. Hubby did find without his hiking poles. I had to take a few breaks. I wanted to die by the time I got out of there. I felt soooooooo out of shape, but I also felt pretty happy that I was able to do it. 

I forgot to bring my heart rate monitor and I forgot to set up the GPS app on my phone so I don't have an accurate distance or elevation gain/loss. I read somewhere that it was .7 mile out and back with 200 feet of loss then gain, but it didn't feel like .7 so maybe that's if you can get all the way around the building and closer to the waterfalls. The 200 feet might be accurate. 

(I had to edit this page to remove two pictures that weren't working)

No comments:

Post a Comment