Sunday, April 26, 2015

Review of Graze.com Sharing Box

What it is and why I get it

Graze.com is a mail order snack subscription service. They have awesome snack! The company is growing and continually making changes to make it an even more awesome service. One of those changes was the Sharing Box or the Big Box. The regular boxes that I was getting were in portion controlled containers, but the Sharing Box has five bags of multiple servings. It ends up less expensive per snack, but the trade offs are that you have to portion it out yourself and you get less variety in a month. The Sharing Box has has 20 portions for $25. They sent them out once a month or you can get a one time box. 

The Packaging

The box looks so cute that I was planning on saving it to use as someone's Christmas box, but hubby tossed it into the recycling before I told him about it. 


When you flip the lid up, the box opens up like you see in the pic below. My first thought was hat it seemed like an excessive amount of cardboard, but keep reading! 


They specifically designed the box so it wouldn't use any glue. Cardboard can be made from paper products and cardboard can be recycled into more cardboard, so having a bit of excess cardboard in the box in order to make it without glue seemed like a good idea to me! 


The snacks come in this bags made of some sort of paper type material. It's not plastic. It might be like a wax coated paper or something. 


Rainbow Vitality

This has pumpkin seeds, pineapple pieces, almond slivers and lingonberries. I'm not a huge fan of almond slivers or pumpkin seeds, but my initial assessment of this snack was positive because of the ratio of pineapple to pumpkin seeds. However, it would seem that all of the seeds and nuts sank to the bottom of the bag. The rest of the bag did not have this ratio and was mainly just seeds and nuts. The snack. I ended up trashing this snack after this box. In portion controlled boxes, it might be a fine snack, but in the big box with multiple servings, it just annoyed me towards the end.



Cherries and Berries

This has cherries, lingonberries, cranberries and jump raisins. This is one of my favorite snacks from the portion controlled boxes. I was concerned about getting it in the big box because I was afraid that once I opened the box, I wouldn't be able to stop myself. That was partially true. This container did not last as long as it should have, but for some reason, it also wasn't as good as the portion controlled packages. It didn't seem as sweet and it felt a little waxy.


Carrot and Orange Chews

These are hard to describe. They are soft and chewy, but not like a gummy bear. They were my favorite snack in the box. I wish they came in the portion controlled boxes. 


Summer Berry Flapjack

I was so excited for the Sharing Box because it meant being able to get a whole bag of flapjacks! I wasn't really sure what to expect, but they came individually wrapped like the picture below. There were two pieces per serving which makes this a smaller serving than the portion controlled boxes. The portion controlled flapjacks are three sections about this size in each serving. That in itself was a bit of a let down for me. The quality of the flapjack wasn't as good either. They were a bit dry in my opinion compared to the regular flapjacks. They didn't have as much flavor either. 

Lightly Toasted Pistachios 

I didn't take a picture of these, but they looked like any other pistachio with the shells on. They tasted good. I'm just not a fan of shelling pistachios. I still have part of the bag left at work because I find it so annoying to shell pistachios. I know that some people find that it adds to the experience. It's just annoying to me. 

Overall Thoughts

I was super excited to get the Share Box, but it was a bit of a let down for me. I found it really annoying that some of the bags had 3.5 servings in them. What's that all about? They may have changed that since the start of the sharing box though. I just checked the website and none of these are listed as 3.5, but I know the bags that I had did say 3.5 on them. Anyway, I could get over the serving size if the quality of the product was the same as the portion controlled boxes, but the flapjacks and the Cherries & Berries were just blah compared to the portion controlled packages. I don't understand how they could be different, but they certainly were. I also didn't really like the multi serving bags in the end. I love the portion controlled aspect of the other boxes and I'm going to stick with those. Everyone is different though. If you do go for the Sharing Box and get a flapjack that you don't like, be sure not to trash it for good until you've gotten one of the portion controlled flapjacks. They are the best thing on this planet! 

No comments:

Post a Comment