Monday, October 13, 2014

I ran!

I finally did it!

I've been talking about running for ages now. I have dreams about running. In my dreams, I run like a gazelle. I know that I would not be able to run like a gazelle, but in my dreams I can. I'm so happy in these running dreams. It doesn't make any sense because I know that if I ran, I would be all out of breath and sweaty. I've run on a treadmill before at the gym and it's horrible. My shins hurt and I can't breathe, but none of that matters in these dreams. They make me want to run! 

I've got a friend who wants to do PiYo. She was procrastinating buying it. She came into my work the other day and watched Drench. I picked the one that I hate the most to have her watch, and she thought it looked like the best thing ever. During that whole conversation, the whole running topic came up. She said that we should run a 5k together next spring. It sounded like fun when she talked about it so I thought I should actually run to see how things went. So on Saturday morning this past weekend, I woke up to go for a run.

I wasn't very prepared. I didn't know what I was going to wear or what shoes to use. I don't have running shoes. I didn't think using my hiking boots would be a good idea. I decided to run in my sneaker that I wear to work. I also put on a pair of my tighter fitting sweat pants and best sports bra and a T-shirt. It was a pretty chilly morning so I wasn't sure if I should wear a jacket or just go with the T-shirt. I knew once I started running that I would be uber hot, so I skipped the jacked and froze for the first part of the experience. It was dark outside so I looked around for a baseball hat to clip my light to, but I couldn't find one. Turns out, I didn't need a light anyway because it took me so long to put music onto my phone and figure out how to play it that it was light out by the time I left the house. I was kind of hoping to do this under the cover of darkness so no one would see me.

I found a spare key and put it in my pocket. I put my headphones on and headed for the door. Once I got there, I wasn't really sure what I was going to do. How long should I warm up? How far should I go? Where should I go? I decided to walk out a mile and then try to run back home. After walking a half mile, I realized that there was no way I was going to be able to run for a mile, so I turned around and started running there. No runner would actually call this running though. It wasn't walking, but speed walkers could definitely walk faster than I ran. I could probably walk faster than I ran. It was weird though. I thought that my boobs bouncing would be really distracting, but if they bounced, I didn't notice. I also didn't hear the music coming out of my headphones. I know it was on. I know there was music coming out, but all I focused on was continuing to breathe and continuing to make  my feet go forward. I was going to run all the way home even if it killed me. I did it too and I didn't die. 

I haven't driven the route with my car yet to verify, but according to my phone, I ran for half a mile. It didn't hurt my shins. I did cough for a couple hours afterwards though. This whole coughing this really sucks. The next day, I was sore in new places. I think it was from the running. I also did PiYo that day, but it wasn't a new PiYo workout so I shouldn't have been sore in new places. If I can get sore, it means I worked my muscles which means I'm getting a good cardio burn and I'm getting a strength workout at the same time. This is a total win win for me! Once I'm done with PiYo, I'm totally doing C25K as long as the weather holds out. Maybe I'll get far enough into it that I can use the treadmill. I don't want to use the treadmill in the beginning stages where you're running and jogging alternately for like a minute or 90 seconds. Dealing with the up and down of the treadmill speeds would be too annoying.

I thought that actually running would make the dreams about running stop since I knew the reality of me running was not like my dreams, but that night, I still had a running dream! I ran slower in this dream. I wasn't quite a gazelle, but I was still incredibly happy! Today is Monday, and my legs are still sore! I did PiYo again yesterday, but I really think this is from the running. I could be wrong though. I have to go do PiYo again today. Two weeks left of PiYo and I can start C25K! 

BodyMedia Screen Shot

Her is the screen shot from the run. I forgot to do a workout tab, but check it out! I went over 20 calories per minute. As far as I know, that is the highest I have gone. I finally broke 20 calories per minute. I didn't go over it by much, but it doesn't matter! 


No comments:

Post a Comment