Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Daily Burn Kettlebells Day 1

Daily Burn Kettlebells 

I have been dying to do kettlebells for months! Today, I finally got my wish! I have a 60 day free trial to Daily Burn. I'm going to use it to do the kettlebell program that they have. The program is 90 days and consists of 6 kettlebell workouts that are 51 minutes and an assortment of yoga and mobility "workouts" that are between 15 and 51 minutes. There is little information about the program before you actually sign up. I found that highly annoying. The sign up process was really easy. It was also easy to get it connected to my Roku. 

When you login to Daily Burn, you can go to your scheduled workout program or you can check out anything else that you want. When you get to your scheduled workout program, it gives you the option to do the workout for the day or something else. I signed up yesterday, bu didn't do the workout. Today when I logged in, it still showed the Swing Clinic as my workout for the day. So, I think it will keep track of the next workout in the schedule even if you don't do it. 

I was surprised to see that this program has a "workout" for every single day of the 90 days. Some of them are just 15 minute yoga things, but it's still surprising to have something scheduled for every single day for 90 days. I never really intended to do the program exactly as it was laid out. For the first week and a half, I'm doing this at the same time as PiYo. I also want to do C25K while i'm still doing kettlebells. We'll see how all of this goes. 

Day 1: Swing Clinic

On Day 1, we have the Swing Clinic. This was only about 12 minutes long. The instructor had one person with him. The instructor talked while the other person demonstrated what to do. This 12 minutes was pretty intense. He said that women should use a 12kg kettlbell, which is around 25 pounds. My heaviest bell is 15 pounds. I used my 10 pound bell because it was my first time. He said that using a light bell was not good. Otherwise, I would have used my 5 pound bell. 

We started off by doing the squatting and hip thrusting part of doing a swing. We then did that while holding a stick to our backs. Then we sat down and jumped up. Then we did a deadlift with the bell. It was great getting to play with the bell! Then we did swings while holding a towel under the handle of the bell. I didn't quite get that, but it really got my heart rate up. After that we did one arm swings and alternating arm swings. I'm really scared to ruin my TV by missing the switch off, but I managed to get through this without ruining the TV. 

My legs were tingly and weak before I started this. Doing the double workout this morning really kicked my butt, but OMG 12 minutes of a swing tutorial was insane. I got my heart rate up and I got a good burn on my butt and hamstrings. I honestly don't think that I'll be able to do a complete 51 minute workout, but I'm going to give it a try tomorrow if I can walk. I probably will need a sick day on Friday. Friday is supposed to be my rest day, but I was planning on doing kettlebells then too since I've got PiYo and kettlebells to do together and kettlebells is too long of a workout for me to do on the same day as PiYo on a workday. We'll see how this goes! I had fun, but it makes me nervous about what a 51 minute workout will be like! I'm also concerned about boredom. For the first 30 days, I'll do Kettlebells 1 and Kettlebells 2 for 3-4 workouts per week. I tend to get bored doing the same workouts. I also find that I put less oomph into them as I start to memorize the routines.  

BodyMedia Screen Shot

I didn't think that this was going to be a workout so I didn't do a workout tab. I wish I had! At the end of the workout, it told me that I had burned 40 calories. It would have been nice to compare the two. I did do a screen shot from the website though. As much as my heart was racing, I thought I would have gotten more than a 10 calorie per minute burn, but I guess it makes sense because we did 10 reps and then rested. 


No comments:

Post a Comment