Thursday, September 18, 2014

Review of Beachbody Piyo Day 18


Day 18: Define: Lower Body

Today was Day 18 which was Define: Lower Body. It's the first real workout I did with the program and today was the last time that I will do this workout in this round of PiYo. It will be in my PiYo/Les Mills Combat Hybrid calendar when I finally create that. I'm excited to try PiYo and Les Mills Combat together, but first I have to get through PiYo and right now I'm just not feeling it. I'm not sure what my issue is. I know that I'm really excited to get to Daily Burn Kettlebells and maybe that's my problem. I'm thinking of next instead of now. 

What's really weird for me is that way back a few years ago, I was in the gym doing weights five days a week. I didn't want to do cardio at all. I would force myself to walk on the treadmill sometimes, but I wanted the burn from doing heavy lifting. I enjoyed the actual workout. I love seeing my progress with doing heavier weights. I should love the fact that PiYo is giving me DOMS. I should love that I'm not bouncing around out of breath like I was in Les Mills Combat, but I look at my BodyMedia screen shots each day and I see this really low low burn. I know I'm burning more throughout the day, but it doesn't really change the mental side of this that makes me feel like I'm not doing anything to lose this weight. I know adding muscle will burn more calories in the long run. It doesn't change what's going on in my head. I'm not loving PiYo right now. 

This morning I was looking at the schedule for the remainder of the program and realized that after next week, I won't get anymore new workouts. Part of the awesomeness of Les Mills Combat was that I felt like I was getting new workouts pretty regularly. Obviously the first week of a new program is going to give you that excitement of looking forward to new stuff, but with Les Mills Combat, it went beyond that first week. The last workout was added in the last two weeks of the program, plus the free DVD wasn't worked into the calendar so I had that to look forward to after everything was done. With PiYo, the first week had 3 new workouts, the second week added two more, the third week adds one more, the fourth week adds two more if you order through a coach and get the Free workout, otherwise, it's just one new workout. Then you're done getting new workouts. You've got four more weeks of doing all of the same workouts (minute Define: Upper Body and Define: Lower Body which stop in week three.) 

I sent my husband a text today telling him that I was thinking about stopping PiYo. I told him I wanted to buy my kettlebells and then do Daily Burn Kettlebells. I thought he would tell me to do whatever it is that I wanted to do, but he told me to keep doing PiYo. I'm pretty sure that he knows how happy I was to get my Les Mills Combat T-shirt and knows that I'll be mad at myself if I don't finish PiYo, but five more weeks seems like such a long way away! 

Okay, enough with the crappy attitude. I've got a yoga mat now and I think this was the first time I've done this workout since I got the mat. I really liked having the extra cushion under my feet, knees and hands. I also liked that my feet stayed in place better. My hands were slipping a little bit though. My palms were getting quite sweaty. I'm thinking about putting on my weight lifting gloves with the strap really loose. I'm thinking maybe that will help with the slippage. 

I was pretty excited today when I realized that I had gone from Split Down Dog directly into Pigeon. My leg just came forward between my arms and plunked down where it belonged. I was even able to go directly from Pigeon back to Split Down Dog. I did both of those before I really realized what had happened. Normally getting into Pigeon is a process for me. It's not a pretty process either. This was just boom and done like a regular pro at this stuff. However, once I realized that I did it, I wasn't able to replicate it. It was like something in my brain just shut off. I just need to let things flow and not think about them. It's kind of like scissor legs and cross jacks in Les Mills Combat. I was doing my own wacky modified version until one day I just started doing them correctly without the modification. I might have to do this workout again after the program is done just to see what else I can improve on. Apparently the first time I did Warrior 3 I used my window seat. I didn't use it today. I had to tap my foot down a few times, but I was able to get into the pose without modifying. 

Tomorrow is supposed to be a rest day, but I have to do Sweat on Friday so I can have Sunday as a rest day for our hike. I'm not so sure how smart it will be for me to do Sweat on Friday and Strength Intervals on Saturday knowing that we're climbing a mountain on Sunday, but I'll survive somehow. The first time I did Sweat, it required two rest days. The second time wasn't so bad though. I'm wondering if maybe I should switch Sweat and Strength Intervals so I'm not doing the hike the day after a brand new workout. The first day after a new one is always the hardest! You find muscles that you didn't know you had. 

BodyMedia Screen Shot

Here is another unimpressive BodyMedia screen shot. I'm sweating. I'm huffing and puffing. My legs are on fire! BodyMedia thinks I'm sitting on my duff doing nothing! Drives me crazy!

Want to Learn More? Watch the video

If you're interested in buying PiYo, make sure you buy it from a Coach so you get the extra DVD for free. If you don't have a coach, you can buy it through me at my Beachbody page




PiYo DEFINE YOURSELF

No comments:

Post a Comment