Friday, July 18, 2014

My Mission to Accept Yogurt Into My Life Part 1 Peanut Butter Frozen Yogurt Drops


What I made and why

I'm on a mission to like yogurt, but it can't be dessert yogurt that's loaded with chemicals and sugar. This is becoming quite the challenge since I can't stand the taste of yogurt. I've tried and tried to like yogurt, but it hasn't happened in the past. This week, I put some new effort into the mission. I can deal with frozen yogurt, sooooooooooo I searched high and low to find recipes with yogurt that I could freeze! I found this recipe for Peanut Butter Frozen Yogurt Drops. It's got peanut butter in it so really how can it go wrong?

The Process

So the first part of the process was to find yogurt that didn't have any crap in it. I wanted just yogurt! The only ingredient should be............cultured low fat milk! I managed to find two. However, they were GIANT containers. It's really annoying that you can't get a small thing of straight up yogurt without crap in it. I needed 3/4 of a cup, but I ended up getting like 6 cups (it might have been even more) 

Okay, so I mixed up everything in my food processor. I skipped the Stevia though since I don't like sweeteners since they make me hungry. He said it tasted great and didn't need sweetener. I put it in my "piping bag" (translation - a sandwich sized zipper bag with a corner cut off and a start tip crammed into the corner) I then set out to making my little stars. I didn't make them very uniform, but I've never been very good at cake decorating. My mother would be so disappointed in my work. She used to make wedding cakes for people when I was a kid. Okay, so after they were all on there, I stuck my cookie sheet in the freezer for several hours. 

I was so excited to pull them out of the freezer to pull them off the wax paper and put them into a Rubermaid container for the freezer. And then.............I ate one. It was not pretty. I stuck that sucker on my tongue and initially thought that it was great, but then it melted. The yogurt flavor took over my mouth! I wanted to cry! I wanted to love these things. I wanted to use them to replace my after dinner snack. I'm doing this whole baby stepping my way to eating healthier and my current mission is my after dinner snacking. I've gone through a Browne Brittle phase, but we're out. I went through a peanut butter with Hershey's syrup phase as well. I do pretty well with my eating if I have a plan, but if I don't have an after dinner dessert plan, things go badly. After dinner dessert is like the end of the night. Once the dessert is done, I'm done. If I don't have an after dinner dessert, nothing tells my brain that I'm done and I get all crazy with the snack cravings! Like tonight, I really want to go eat the corn chips that are in the kitchen. I tried one more that first night, but it didn't go any better. The yogurt flavor was just over powering! I couldn't taste the peanut butter at all.

So the next night, I tried again. It wasn't any better. I tried to sprinkle them with some sugar just so I could choke them down because I didn't want to waste all of that yogurt. The sugar didn't really help. I forced myself to eat them, but while I sucked on them, all the sugar flavor went away quickly and I was left with the nasty yogurt flavor on my tongue! 

Okay, now it's Tuesday night. I'm determined to eat these things! I look around the kitchen to figure out what to do with these things so I can choke them down. I grabbed some Hershey's syrup and the yogurt drops. I put some in a coffee mug and squirted some syrup on them. I mixed them up while thinking to myself, "This defeats the whole purpose of these things, but I just need to get them down!" I ate them slowly while I was playing around on the computer. The syrup didn't help. I let them sit on my tongue to melt and the syrup flavor went away and left me with nasty yogurt flavor again! I ate them very slowly after that. At some point, I decided to try chewing them instead, and they were less gross! 

The next night, I tried again with the Hershye's syrup. I then let the cup sit out for a little bit so they got a little softer. They weren't melted, but they were softer. I could chew them without if feeling like I was chewing ice. They were less gross than the night before! 

So, the following night I did it again and they were less gross again! They weren't yummy that's for sure, but they were definitely less gross than the day before which was less gross than the day before that which was less gross than the day before that.

Now we're on Friday, but I don't have any yogurt drops left. I'm afraid that if I don't eat any tonight, all of my progress with be wasted! I'll go back to thinking they are the grossest things on the face of the planet! I should have made more when I first got home, but I had editing to do. I fond another recipe for yogurt drops and it has chocolate in it! Oooooooooooooooooooh that one sounds like a good idea! However, it also has banana in it and I"m not a banana fan! Oh the woes of a girl who just can't stand yogurt! Stay tuned for future episodes of My Mission to Accept Yogut Into My Life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment