Sunday, May 18, 2014

The Biggest Loser Cheesy Vegetable Frittata


What I made and why

It's been a bit since I cooked, so I thought I would give it a go this morning for breakfast. I'm reading The Biggest Loser 30 Day Jump Start, so I picked a recipe from it. There weren't many recipes in it, and even fewer that I would actually eat. I know that I need to expand my food horizons, but it's just so hard for me. I picked the Cheesy Vegetable Frittata since I had some peppers to use up anyway. I skipped the mushrooms though since neither one of us like mushrooms. I had a single piece of Dave's Killer Bread Good Seed 70 Calorie per slice bread. I put a little bit of butter on it. I also had an apple. It was a pretty big apple. My husband had a banana instead of the apple and strawberry jam instead of the butter. 

Ingredients

There were 14 ingredients in this recipe. I thought that was a bit excessive. I wouldn't put this into my list of quick and easy recipes since there was so much chopping of vegetables. Although, if you do like the show suggests and spend all day Sunday preparing all of your stuff, it probably wouldn't take as long to make in the morning. 

Cooking it

This recipe was a bit obnoxious. First you have to saute the onions and peppers. Then you set them on a cookie sheet to cool. While they are cooling, you're supposed to cook the mushrooms, but I skipped the mushrooms and went to the garlic and tomatoes. Then those needed to cool. It was about 15 minutes before I put anything in the oven and it would have been longer if I hadn't skipped the mushrooms. Nothing was difficult, but it was time consuming. It was another 25 minute in the oven, but it wasn't cooked so it was another five minutes before it was done. I think an hour to cook just a portion of breakfast is a bit much.

My thoughts

There were too many ingredients and it took too long to make. The flavor was good, but it was pretty wet. I don't like wet eggs. It seemed like an excessive amount of ricotta cheese compared to the eggs. Maybe it wouldn't have been so wet if I had used the mushrooms, but we just don't like mushrooms. I won't be making this again. The serving size was rather small too. Although, with only 130 calories in a serving, I could have had two servings. The picture at the top left is my breakfast (I think that is pretty self explanatory) The picture on the right is what it looked like when it came out of the oven. I really need to work on my lighting for these pictures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment