Tuesday, February 25, 2014

The Biggest Loser Simple Swaps 100 Easy Changes to Start Living a Healthier Lifestyle


I recently read The Biggest Loser Simple Swaps 100 Easy Changes to Start Living a Healthier Lifestyle. The book was not what I was expecting, but it was still good. I got the book from the library and only had a brief blurb about the book. I was expecting something similar to Eat This Not That. However, this book was more like a regular diet book with extra blurb throughout that explained the Simple Swaps. It also included recipes. 

Chapter List:
Swapping the Ranch for Life at Home - (It's a where are they now section for previous contestants.)
Calories: You Can Count on Them
Planning Regular Meals and Snacks
Eat Your Vegetables
The Power of Protein
Don't Go Against the Grain
Fat Can Help You Get Thin
No More White Stuff
Eat, Don't Drink Your Calories
Moving Right Along
Creating a Game Plan for Life


The information in the book, wasn't really all that new to me. I know that I need more veggies and less processed foods in my life. I was looking forward to the Simple Swaps, but they were not really all that I had hoped for and more. Some of them were what I was looking for, such as eating an orange instead of drinking the juice. A lot of them were things like Be Positive instead of Negative. I didn't really find those mental swaps to be helpful for a couple reasons. The book is called Simple Swaps, but changing your mindset isn't really all that simple. It also just seemed like no brainer type stuff that it wasn't really necessary to waste one of the top 100 Simple Swaps on stuff like that.

The format was a bit chaotic for me. I pretty much felt like I had ADD. I would be in the middle of some educational paragraph, but would have to flip to the next page to finish it. Once you finish the paragraph, you have to flip back to the previous page to read all of the blurbs from the previous contestants, the swap blurbs and the trainer tip blurbs. I found that quite distracting. 

The book has some really good information and some good recipes, but it just wasn't what I was expecting. I was happy that the suggested diet plan didn't include any crazy crash diet stuff and the calorie count suggestions are pretty doable. 

Recipes from the book that I've tried.





No comments:

Post a Comment