Tuesday, February 11, 2014

The Biggest Loser - Power X-Train Review


I did the workout yesterday, but waited until today to do the review. I wanted to know how much pain it caused and where that pain was before I did the review. I now know the answer. I'm so addicted to post workout pain. it's almost like a tattoo. It's better though since it costs less money! Oddly enough, I was excited to do this workout since the last one had been such a success in the post workout pain department. 

I gotta admit that I preferred the format of the first DVD because I was easily able to set it to do a pre-set workout that included the warm-up, the workout and the cool down. I felt trapped in a never ended cycle of menus on this one and I never was able to make it play straight through. I ended up selecting each thing on its own which was highly annoying. 

Dolvett Quince did the warm-up. That man has an odd definition of a warm up. Any warm up that has squats and lunges is more of a work out than a warm up. He's so calm and zen like though in his mannerisms that I would have tried to do lunges for him all day. I'm hoping he's got a workout on this DVD. I'd like to see how that would workout for me.Other than the lunges and squats in the warm up, it was a pretty typical warm-up.

After that, I went to the Metabolic Circuit. Bob Harper is the trainer for this section. The back of the DVD case didn't mention needing weights for this section. Although, maybe I missed that on there. I didn't have weights and didn't use weights. I will admit that even without the weights, this DVD kicked my rear! The premise is that you do 1 minute intervals of a bunch of different things. You don't take breaks in between, which sucks for those of us who need water breaks a lot. I was out of breath on this DVD before we even got through the warm-up. Once the workout started, I wanted to die! There are lunges and squats galore in this. What's with you people! Can't we work out legs without lunges and squats? Even when you're doing arm stuff like bicep curls, you're still doing lunges and squats. There were jumping jacks in this too. I had to modify those until I get a decent sports bra. Anyone have any suggestions on a good one for the big chested?

Jumping jacks, push ups, lunges and squats oh my. There were other things in there too, but those are the ones that stick in my memory because I hate all of those things! I love the pain they cause the next day though even though I did really pansy lunges. I went all in on the squats, but I get sooooooo out of balance on lunges. 

The cool thing is that you only do a given move for 1 minute so you know when it will  be over. He counts down around the 10 second mark too which helps you push through. I will admit that I wasn't able to finish a lot of the moves, but I came close. I took a lot of breaks. 

I think the people in the video are former contestants but I don't have much experience with the show, so I didn't recognize anyone. It was nice to see real people doing these and not professional workout people. They looked like they were actually having a hard time with the work out which makes me feel better when I'm struggling.

One thing that drove me insane on this workout was that he would say okay do this fast, but then say don't sacrifice your form for speed. Go slower to keep with good form. However, he never really talked about form. I'm sure I had bad form, but I'm not really sure what good form should have been. I thought that getting The Biggest Loser DVDs would be good for me since I'm huge and the show has people who are huge, but I'm starting to think these are geared more towards people who aren't quite so huge. I'm 309 pounds. I could be on the show and be the biggest chick in the house, but I'm falling all over the place with these and taking so many breaks that my BodyMedia device thinks I'm doing nothing. How did I do a 27 minute workout and only get 8 minutes of total activity. Madness I say, Madness!

I will have to get over it knowing that the next day, I hurt! It was mainly in my glutes and hamstrings. I certainly felt those the next day when I did a Walk Away the Pounds workout. The triceps on my right arm were also a bit sore but only if I straightened out my arm. I could type and function just fine. My quads don't hurt yet. I'll give an update later today and/or tomorrow since I usually hurt worse the day after the day after. I'm just weird like that. 

Here are my BodyMedia screenshots. The big blue blip on the left is the workout. I was pretty surprised. with the results. I also have no idea how I only got 8 minutes of activity from that workout. 

No comments:

Post a Comment