Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Review of Beachbody 10 Minute Trainer One on One with Tony Horton: Cardio Intervals, Chest and Back


One on One with Tony Horton: Cardio Intervals, Chest and Back

Yesterday was my last today doing 10 Minute Trainer. I did the last two of the One on One with Tony Horton workouts. I had intended on doing three a day for two days, but they were longer than expected so I did two a day for three days. Oddly enough, I had no motivational problems yesterday. I was sitting on the couch with hubby and just stood and headed to the workout room. No major thought process involved. It was rather strange! These were more workouts with Tony in his home gym with just the one camerman. We used the band in the door for some of the stuff and Tony had the push up stands. I just had my hands on the floor. I thought about using some dumbbells, but I don't do good with Renegade Rows, so I didn't bother trying to use the dumbbells as the push up stands. I think he calls them Power Stands. I did a cardio workout and the chest and back workout. Each of them lasted about 15 minutes. 

Cardio Intervals

This was much harder than I expected it to be.  I was breathing pretty heavy and coughing from the exertion. He called it a lower body, core, cardio interval return. I wasn't a huge fan of this one because pretty much all of the moves were used in some manner in previous workouts. They might not have been exactly the same. For example, the Three Speed Run was a more controlled thing in this workout, but in the Cardio workout in the basic package, we just ran in place and he talked about going faster if you could. towards the end, he did encourage it and had her move forward to create more resistance, but in this one it was every 20 seconds we picked up the pace. It was still running in place though. I was hoping that the Deluxe workouts would be completely unique though. 

Three Speed Runs

We started off running in place. After 20 seconds, we picked up the pace. We went even faster for the final 20 seconds. We ran in place during Cardio in the base package. It wasn't quite the same as this, but we did increase the pace every so often.

Crescent Lunges

We did them slow for the first 20 seconds. He called them Crescent Lunges, but he kept his hands by his waist for the first 20 seconds. We did these with our hands in the air in Core Cardio in the base program. After 20 seconds, we added a skip between them. He also messed around with his arms in this round. The last 20 seconds was the typical plyo lunge where the back foot comes forward and the front front goes backwards without stopping in the center. He kept his arms up for these. I just stepped these. I can't do plyo lunges. It's just not good for the knees.

Tires (Step, Run, Wacky)

We did this in another one of these 10 Minute Trainer One on One workouts, but I can't remembered which one. The first 20 seconds has you doing knee lifts with your legs out to the side and your elbows coming down to the meet the knees. Then We picked up the pace a little bit. The last 20 seconds has you looking like a total dork, but it gets the heart rate going. We did the knee lift thing and the elbow thing, but we did it fast. It's kind of like doing high knees, but out to the side and still doing oblique crunches with the upper body. It's wacky for sure.

Off The Line

We did this in Cardio in the base package, but we did it a little different. We started out in a lineman stance squatted down touching the floor. Then we stood up and ran across the room. Then we turned around and did it again. This was oddly harder than I thought it would be. I'm not really sure why though.

Jack Twist

We did a hopping twisting thing for 10 seconds and then jumping jacks for 10 seconds. We alternated for the full minute. I pretty much wanted to die when this was over. He wasn't so good at calling out the 10 seconds so I had to really watch him which was kind of annoying. I really missed having a timer on the screen for this one! He really picked up the pace for the last ten seconds! We did a twisting thing in Core Cardio, but it wasn't quite like this one.

One Legged Leap Squats

We put all our weight on one foot. The other toe just touched down for balance. For 30 seconds, we squatted down and then jumped up and reached for the ceiling. We switched sides after 30 seconds. We did this in the Plyo workout and I think the Lower Body workout for the One on One with Tony Horton workouts. It's a bit annoying to repeat moves.

Lateral Lunges

We did these in Lower Body in the base package, but we touche the floor in these. We were kind of in a sumo squat position, but a little wider. We lunged to the right and then the left. We weren't supposed to come up and down. Our hips stayed at the same height. Halfway through, he put his hands in the air and stopped touching the floor. These are rough.

Side Lunge, Side Kick

We did these in Cardio and in Lower Body in the base package. We lunged to the left and then came up to vertical and then kicked with the right foot. We did each side for 30 seconds. I like these, but it would have been nice to have all unique moves in this especially since we did this same move in two other workouts.

Hop Squat Run Home

We did these in Cardio in the base package, but we did them with a resistance band attached to the door. So we were in a sumo squat position and hopped back the length of the room. Then we ran to the front of the room and hopped back again. I'm not a fan of these, but I got through them. 



Chest & Back 

I love back day, but I don't really like chest day, so this wasn't one I was uber excited to do, but I got through it!

Corn Cob Push Ups

He used the Power Stands. He went down, over to the right, over to the left, back to the center and back up. These were hard for me and it was only the first move. I never really got as far over as I was supposed to. He said to get your pec muscle to your wrist. I did these on my knees and still didn't quite get it right. 

Single - Double Lat Row

We were in the door with the resistance band for these. We were in a bit of a lunge position. We did lat rows with both hands for 8 reps. Then we alternated hands for 8 reps. We switched every 8 reps. I had issues with the singles. The one not doing the work was supposed to be pulled back, while the other one worked, but I kept letting it go forward. Oopsy.

Staggered Hand Push Ups

He sued the Power Stands for this too. One hand was just forward of the shoulder and the other was down by the pec. We did push ups like that. We alternated every four reps. I did these on my knees. I hate push ups, but I got through them. 

Two Direction Three Point Pull

We did these a bit differently in Upper Body in the base package. So we were back in the door with the bands. We pulled the bands to our shoulders and then brought our hands to our hips and then let the bands go back towards the door. After 30 seconds, we pulled to our hips and then lifted to our shoulders and then back towards the door. We kept our hands facing down on this. In the Upper Body workout in the base package, we flipped our hands over for this part of the move.

Three Point Push Ups

He used the stands again. He put them in very close for 20 seconds. Then we moved them out a little wider for 20 seconds. The last 20 seconds was a bit wider. His feet were pretty wide for the narrow hand positions and narrow for the wide hand positions.

Superman Banana Lat Pulls

These were interesting. We got down on the floor. We were in a Superman position and did lat pull downs. Then we rolled over into the shape of a banana and did lat pull downs. The Superman part was easy. The banana part sucked. I was supposed to have my head and shoulders up off the floor the whole time, but I couldn't do it so I kept touching down between reps. 

Side Arm Pike Push Up

This was crazy. So we did a side arm plank, then put both hands down to do a push up. Then we stepped forward into a pike position and did a push up. Then stepped our feet back for a push up and then did the side arm plank with the other side. I did all the push ups on my knees. I did do the Pike on my toes, but I did not get down very far into the "push up" in pike.

Tug of War / Lumber Jack

We were back in the door. We were in a a lunge position and we looked like we were sawing a log in a lumber jack competition. I kinda liked these, but the handles kept whacking my watch. We swithed sides after 30 seconds.

Power Push Ups

We did push ups, but after each one, we lifted one hand into the air and held it for a moment. At the end, he said you could make it harder by picking up the opposite foot as well. I did these on my knees so they weren't that hard, but he looked like he was struggling by the end. 

X Flys

We were back at the door. We crossed our arms and then uncrossed them as we pulled our hands back. Then we extended them and crossed them. We were supposed to alternated which one was on op. I liked these, but my left shoulder is a bit off and I felt a twinge in it each time I crossed in front. I really need to work on my posture while we sit on the couch. I also need to work on a few other things, but that's for another post. 

Sooooooo many push ups! I hate push ups. I suck at them, but we did a ton of them. I'm getting better t them. Back two years ago when I started working out again, I had to do them pretty much in a "hands and knees" position, so my knees were under my hips, but now I can stretch out a little bit more and get my knees back where they belong. 

Polar M400 Screen Shots

Here they are! Looks like I'm back to losing connection with the heart rate monitor, but maybe that was all the push ups. I'm not sure.




Want to learn more? Watch the video!

If you want to learn more about the program, check out the video. If you decide you want to buy it, make sure you buy it from a Beachbody Coach so you get the free workout that comes with it. If you don't have a coach, you can get it from me. You can do the program for free if you sign up for the free trial of the Club Membership at Team Beachbody. With the trial, you get 30 days access to all of the workout programs in the Member Library of On Demand. 10 Minute Trainer is one of the programs and since it's a 4 week program, you can complete the program before the trial is complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment