Saturday, February 13, 2016

Review of Beachbody 10 Minute Trainer One on One with Tony Horton Lower Body and Upper Body



One on One with Tony Horton Lower Body and Upper Body!

I'm still working on getting through the upgraded DVDs with 10 Minute Trainer. I got two more done yesterday! There are two more to go. I should have done those two today, but it's 1:23 and it hasn't happened yet. The day is less than half over, but hubby will be home soon so I mostly likely won't be working out. I'm okay with that too. It's my three day weekend and I'll workout if I want to and won't if I don't want to! I don't have to workout if I don't want to. I think that my attitude is a lot different than in my first year of this fitness journey. Back then, if I missed a workout day, I freaked out. I took my rest days, but every non scheduled rest day was a major issue for me. What if I don't start working out again? Is this what's going to spiral me out of control and I'll never get back on track again? My husband thought I was nuts. Maybe I was nuts. I know that I'm rambling now though, so I'm going to get back on track.

I had issues deciding which workouts to do today, but finally decided on Upper Body and Lower Body. There wasn't a real reason for doing it. I think my only reason was that I didn't want to do the cardio workout, so I just picked Upper and Lower because they were first on the list of workouts. I'm doing these On Demand which is nice because I don't have to flip DVDs around! I don't really know why, but I really hate changing DVDs! Body Beast drove me crazy because I was constantly having to swap DVDs. When they redid Body Beast, they fixed that issue, but I borrowed my friend's old DVDs which were just a nightmare! 

I wasn't really in the mood for a workout yesterday morning, but I got up and I did it. I wanted to just sleep in. I was in a cranky mood. I still got up and did it! It gets easier the more you convince yourself to just do it. You learn that you feel better after doing it. I still want to die after most of my workouts, but I still feel better. I feel like I accomplished something even if that something was only convincing myself to do something I didn't want to do.

Lower Body

I started out with Lower Body. I ran in place for a little bit to warm up. It is a little annoying not to have a warm up and cool down with the On Demand option for these workouts. Some of them do have cool downs on them, but I can never remember which ones, and I don't want to have to deal with fast forwarding to the end to get to the cool down. There were 10 moves in 10 minutes, but it really took about 13 minutes. This was another one with Tony in his workout room with just the one cameraman. he used a stop watch so there wasn't anything on the screen indicating how much time was left. I never liked having a timer on the workout until doing a lot of Beachbody programs and then not having a timer on one! I can convince myself to do a lot if I know how much longer i have to do it!

Jockey Squats

We started out with our feet staying on the floor. We went all the way down and then came up about 3/4 of the way and then back down. After 20 seconds, we picked up one foot and then the next. We looked like a kid pretending they were riding a horse. The last 20 seconds, both feet came up t the same time. So we ere kind of hopping while in a squat. These are hard. They are also in the base program Lower Body workout. 

Inch Lunge (I'm not sure I have the name right)

We got into Chair position and then did alternating rear lunges. We never came back up to fully upright. We stayed in Chair between lunges. I was having problems keeping my hands straight up. 

Front Kick - Back Kick

We did a front kick and then a back kick with the right leg for 30 seconds and then switched to the other side. These are easier for my when we alternate sides and do the front kick with the right foot and the back kick with the left leg, but we did the same side for 30 seconds. It was different, but it wasn't hard. It took brain power though.

Speed Squats 

We put all our weight on our left leg and did squats pretty quickly. After 15 seconds we jumped up. We did this on Plyo day as well. I'm not a fan of these, but they work that's for sure. We did the same thing on the other leg to finish off the minute.

Four Direction Iso Lunge

We did these in Lower Body in the base program of 10 Minute Trainer. We got into a lunge position and had a resistance band under the front foot. Then we shifted forward, back, up and down. We did each side for 30 seconds. These are hard, but doable. At least we didn't do the shoulder presses with them. In this one, he had the band behind his arms. In the other ones we put the band in front. 

Three Part Squats

We did this is Lower Body in the base program of 10 Minute Trainer too, but this time we started with Sumo squat and then went to hip width and then went to narrow. We used a band with the the base program, but not with these. During the Sumo squats he touched the floor with his hands. With the hip width squats he swung his arms forward as he squatted. With the narrow squats he put his hands up in the air.

Side Lunge Press

We did lateral lunges. As we lunged to the side, we touched the floor. As we came to center, we put our hands up in the air. We did the same move for the full minute.

Front Knee Front Kick

We did this in Lower Body in the base package too, but he moved faster in this one. We did a front knee lift and then a front kick on the right side. We did that for 30 seconds and then switched sides. 

In Out Hop Squats

We dd this one in Lower Body in the base package too. We kept the same speed for the whole minute. We hopped from a sumo squat with our toes turned out into a narrow squat with our toes forward. He put his hands up in he air to make it harder. In the base package, we did these fast for 15 seconds and slow for 15 seconds. This one was just a medium speed for the whole minute.

Back Lunge Mule Kick

We did a rear lunge and then came up to do a back kick. We did one side for 30 seconds and then the other leg for 30 seconds. I liked these. 


Upper Body

I picked Upper Body second because it was the next one in line. This was another one with just Tony Horton at his home gym. No visible timer on the screen!

Carlito Pushup

These are also called Burpees. He did a bunch of different versions! There was the modified version, the traditional version, the crash down version, and the walk down version. He did some with push ups and some with knees coming to the elbows. I don't think he jumped for any of them. That was nice. That's one of the sucky parts about burpees!

Lawn Mower

This was different than the Lawn Mower in the Total Body from the base package. We were in a lunge and put the band under he front foot. Then we grabbed the handle with one hand and pulled like starting a lawn mower. We didn't do the switch with the wrist in this one.

Military Swimmer Press

We stood on one foot and touched the other toe down on the floor. The band was under the plant foot. We did 8 military presses. Then we switched to the swimmer's press. It's like a military press, but instead of stopping the hands at the shoulders, you turn your wrists up and bring them down almost to your waist.

Crazy 8s

We did these in Upper Body and Total Body (or was it Total Body 2? I can't remember) We had the band under our feet. We did 8 bicep curls on one hand while the other side stayed in an iso hold. Then we swapped every 8 reps. I like these well enough, but I feel like I get a better burn on my biceps when I use a dumbbell for curls. 

Kickback / Throw Combo

We started out in a half lunge and did tricep kickbacks with the band under our front foot. We did 8 reps and then stepped through so we could do throws which are basically just tricep extensions. We switched every 8 reps. The kickbacks aren't bad, but the throws are killer.

Chuck Ups

These are just push ups. I'm not sure why he calls them Chuck Ups. We did them with our hands pointed out first. He held the pose in the down position. After 20 seconds, we moved our fingers in. He kept holding the down. I did these on my knees. The last 20 seconds was wide hand. He kept holding the down position for a second or two. I couldn't do it. I barely got through what I did!

Back Up the Tire (I think that was the name)

We were in the same position as the Lawn Mower, but we did an elliptical motion with the hand. We pulled it up to our shoulder, moved our hand towards our hip and then back down to the foot. We did each side for 30 seconds. I kinda like these.

6 Direction Shoulder Fly

I need a lighter band for these! I ended up going lower and lower and lower, but then I ended up on my knees because these were crazy. We had the band under our feet. We did a lateral raise and then brought our hands forward and then brought our hands down in front of us. Then we went back up and back out and then back down. These are torture! Our elbows were supposed to be super straight, but that was hard.

Police Curls

We did these in Upper Body in the base package. I finally found out where they got the name from! Apparently it comes from a police officer putting someone in a head lock. So we had the band under our feet and alternated the curls. They are kind of like concentration curls, but without the bending. 

Tricep Extensions

We had the band under one foot. One handle was at the hip. The other hand was up over the head. It went back like we were going to scratch our backs and then it went up. We did each side for 30 seconds. I'm not a fan of these because my triceps are so wimpy, but they work.

Tony was crazy during this workout! He got very dramatic after each move and he rattled on about crazy stuff. It's a great workout, but he's just nuts!

Polar M400 Screen Shots

Here are he screen shots. My heart rate seems to be getting higher again and I haven't even made it back to low carb yet. Hmmmmmm. The only annoying part about that is that it shows my fat burn % of cals as low. Whatever, I don't care. 





Want to learn more? Watch the video!

If you want to learn more about the program, check out the video. If you decide you want to buy it, make sure you buy it from a Beachbody Coach so you get the free workout that comes with it. If you don't have a coach, you can get it from me. You can do the program for free if you sign up for the free trial of the Club Membership at Team Beachbody. With the trial, you get 30 days access to all of the workout programs in the Member Library of On Demand. 10 Minute Trainer is one of the programs and since it's a 4 week program, you can complete the program before the trial is complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment