Monday, August 31, 2015

Review of Fixate 21 Day Fix Cookbook Almond Chocolate Protein Squares


Almond Chocolate Protein Squares

The recipe for these Almond Chocolate Protein Squares came from the Fixate Cookbook from Beachbody. It has 101 recipes that are all 21 Day Fix approved. I'm currently not doing the 21 Day Fix meal plan, but these fit in pretty well with my Weight Watcher's points and I want to try these out for when I do go back on the 21 Day Fix meal plan. 

I didn't have several of the ingredients for this recipe, and I doubt many people would have them. I had to get the oat flour, whey protein, almond flower, unsweetened almond milk, almond butter and dark chocolate chips. I had the salt and the vanilla extra. :)

These were super easy to make and they are no bake so they are great for a warm summer day! Once you mix all of the ingredients in the food processor, you pour it into an 8x8 pan and freeze it. After it's been in there for awhile, you take it out and pour the melted chocolate over it. 

This recipe counts as 1/2 a yellow container, 1/2 a red container and 2 teaspoons. It counts as 5 Weight Watchers points according to my app. The squares are pretty small. You get 16 servings out of an 8 x 8 pan which means these things are tiny! I was thinking that they would be too small, but the size actually worked out pretty well for me. 

Neither one of us really liked these the first night. They weren't very sweet and the texture was weird. They hadn't completely frozen at that point. It was a few days before I tried it again because I just wasn't sure if 5 points was worth it. I had to eat them though because I spent too much money on ingredients not to eat them. When I had them again, I actually really enjoyed them. I'm not sure if it was because I hadn't had anything sweet for over a week at that point or if the texture was just better because they had frozen solid at that point.

I had hubby try one that was frozen solid and he enjoyed it better that way as well. I actually couldn't get enough of these after that. There were a couple days where I found myself with extra points so I had two in one day! I discovered that letting them sit for about 5 or 10 minutes softened them up just enough so they were easy enough to bite, but not enough that it gave them a weird texture. 

I'm going to make these again that's for sure. The book says that you can swap out the almond butter for peanut butter, cashew butter, seed butters or hazelnut butter. I'm going to see about finding a less expensive butter! It might be peanut butter and I might get a giant thing of it from Costco!

If you want the recipe, send me a message on Facebook or buy the cookbook

Want to learn more about the 21 Day Fix?

21 Day Fix is a nutrition and exercise program that lasts 21 days. It comes with seven 30 minute workouts that include cardio and strength training. It also comes with a 10 minute ab workout. If you buy it from a coach, you get an extra 30 minute workout for free. The nutrition system includes color coded containers. Based on your weight, you get a set number of containers to eat each day. Once you've eaten all of your containers, your done for the day. There are different sized containers for "veggies" (I used quotes since a lot of them are actually fruits, but they are the things that most people consider veggies like cucumbers and peppers), fruits, grains, proteins, fats and dressings. The containers help to make you understand portion control and getting a balanced diet. If it's on the list of foods you can eat and it fits into your containers, you get to eat it. If it doesn't fit, just put it off until the following day. There are plenty of treats that you get to eat as well.  Things like Peanutty Peanut Butter Squares and Almond Chocolate Protein Squares. 


No comments:

Post a Comment