Friday, August 15, 2014

My Mission to Accept Yogurt Into My Life Part 5 - Grape Frozen Yogurt Drops & Shaved Grape Frozen Yogurt


Grape Frozen Yogurt Drops

I'm on a mission to like yogurt. It's this weird obsession of mine. I've never liked yogurt, but frozen yogurt has been fine. I'm a texture girl and I just don't like creamy things like yogurt. I like pudding though. Sometimes I make no sense. Frozen yogurt and ice cream are good. Yogurt and sour cream out of the fridge not so good. I've been Googleing different things I can do at home with yogurt. I've done Peanut Butter Frozen Yogurt Drops, Blueberry Frozen Yogurt and Blueberry Frozen Yogurt Drops

My husband bought some grapes that he didn't eat. I ate them in my salad for just about as long as I could deal with them, but they started getting soft. I just don't like to eat soft grapes. Since I'm on this froyo kick, I figured I'd look for a grape frozen yogurt recipe. Keep in mind, I didn't think I'd actually find anything because grape just doesn't seem like a froyo flavor, but I found something! I also found a grape ice cream recipe. I didn't end up following any of the recipes though. I just wanted to see if anyone other than me had thought about grape froyo. The recipe I found sounded like a lot of work. It involved making the stuff in the blender and then putting it in the freezer. Every 30 minutes, I was supposed to get it out of the freezer and stir it up really well. That just sounded like a whole lot of work. 

I just tossed a cup of grapes and a cup of non-fat Greek yogurt into my blender and blended away. I then dropped spoonfuls of the mixture onto a cookie sheet with waxed paper on it. Then I tossed that into the freezer. The picture above is what came out of the freezer. The mixture melted pretty fast even though I got it into the freezer very quickly. When I opened the freezer, I was reminded of all of my high altitude baking failures. If you bake cookies at high altitude, you need to decrease the grease and increase the flour otherwise everything just spreads out. You get super thin cookies that are about four times the diameter that you were expecting. My yogurt drops did not hold their shape at all! There were spots where four of them sort of merged into one big blob. I was able to pick them up and break them up into smaller pieces.

The Results

As far as flavor goes, it was just okay. It wasn't very sweet. It was nothing near as good as the Blueberry Frozen Yogurt Drops. It may have been a step up from the Peanut Butter Frozen Yogurt Drops in the flavor department. I didn't really get a strong yogurt flavor from them, but I didn't get much of anything else either. The pieces ended up a bit too large and they were difficult to eat. I had to bite them into smaller pieces. Both the Peanut Butter and the Blueberry Frozen Yogurt Drops were much easier to eat just due to the size. I wasn't a fan of the texture of these. The grape skins were a bit gross for me. Overall, I wasn't impressed and I don't plan on making this concoction again. I still have a cup of frozen grapes to deal with though! 

I made these on Sunday. I ate them Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. On Thursday, I just didn't want any. I skipped froyo and had some peanut butter with Hershey's syrup on it. Oh the importance of finding a dessert that I like enough to keep me away from the peanut butter and Hershey's syrup. Okay so Friday (tonight) rolled around and I knew I needed to eat these things up. There was far too much for me to consume in one night in it's current form. I can handle about a Dixie cup of it, but I had way more than a single Dixie cup. So, what's a girl to do....

I had read somewhere that instead of doing the 30 minute mixing, you could just toss it in a food processor after it's been frozen for several hours and it would make it like soft serve again. I grabbed my mini Cuisinart food processor and went to town. It didn't make it creamy though. My mini only had a chop and grind settings. I ended up with shaved froze yogurt which oddly enough seemed more appetizing than creamy frozen yogurt. I'm not sure if you can really see it in the picture, but it really did resemble shaved ice. It melted in my mouth to a soft serve type of consistency. It wasn't half bad! It still had the skin issue, but it was certainly better than when it was in drop form. I polished off the rest of the bowl! Now to work on making mango froyo! Hubby bought a mango the weekend before last. He didn't eat it. I had him cut it up and we froze it so I could make froyo with it! We've also got a pineapple on it's way out. I might chop that up for some froyo. 

I recently decided that my 50 pound present to myself will be a frozen yogurt maker. I'll use the yogurt that we make in our yogurt maker. I'm at 42 pounds right now. I need to buckle down and lose these 8 pounds so I can make froyo easier! I even have the one I want picked out! I would really love the fully automated ones where you don't have to freeze the bowl, but I would have to get to 150 pounds before I spent that kind of money on a weight loss present. I'll stick with a more affordable one. It's the Cuisinart ICE 30-BC Indulgence 2 qt frozen yogurt, ice cream and sorbet maker. I just hope I can make smaller batches than 2 quarts! 

No comments:

Post a Comment