Monday, June 9, 2014

The Biggest Loser The Workout Weight Loss Yoga Review of Segment 1


What I picked and why

Today, I picked The Biggest Loser The Workout Weight Loss Yoga. This is the second time that I got the DVD from the library, but the first time that I've actually done anything on it. I got it because it was part of The Biggest Loser Workout DVD collection, but I've never really been interested in yoga. It's one of those things like Pilates that I feel like I should try, but I don't really want to. I finally decided to do it because I didn't come up with a plan for this week and I only had this and one other DVD left from the library. Jillian is on the other one and I just wasn't in the mood to wake up to Jillian. I picked the first segment of this DVD. It was about 25 minutes plus a 5 minute warm up and a 5 minute cool down. The DVD has three segments. You can customize a workout with up to 5 segments on it. Bob Harper is the instructor for the workout and former contestants were in the workout. 

Equipment

 They all used yoga mats, but I just did it on my floor. I have carpet, so it wasn't too bad.

The Warm Up

The warm up lasted about five minutes. It wasn't really much different than the actual workout since it was just yoga type stretches. 

The Workout

The workout consisted of several yoga poses. He moved between them fairly slowly and you held each pose for what seemed like about 30 seconds, but it could have been less. I did find it a little difficult to do just because several of the poses have you in a position where it's not easy to see the screen and I wasn't sure if I was doing them right. I've never done yoga and I'm not up on all of the lingo. There was one person doing a modified version, but you couldn't always see him. There were times when the editing was bad and you were changing poses, but you couldn't see Bob. 

We did Downward Facing Dog, Warrior 1 and Warrior 2, Triangle, Chair and Planks. I didn't realize that plank was a yoga pose, but I don't follow yoga, so maybe it really is. He had us do push ups while doing the planksand we also lifted one leg up off the ground while doing planks. I should restate that. The contestants lifted one leg up while doing planks and also at a different time, they did push ups while doing planks. I laughed and just held the pose. During the Warrior poses, he also had us straighten and bend our front leg. This put some extra strain on the quads and really made them work. We also did this airplane pose that I can't describe, nor do I know the name of it.

My shoulders were killing me during this workout. Holding the Warrior 1 and Warrior 2 poses as long as we did was just torture on my arms. My legs got to move with the bending and straightening of the front knee, but my arms were up the whole time. Well they were supposed to be up the whole time, but my shoulders were on fire so I had to rest them a few times. 

Some of the contestants were able to move from pose to pose and look like pros at this, but some of them were wobbly and had to work to re-position themselves. That's one of the reasons I like these workouts. The people in them aren't super fit perfect models. They can't do the moves perfectly and it makes me feel better about the fact that I can't do them perfectly either. 

The Cool Down

The cool down was all done on the floor. We started off seated and did a straddle type stretch. I think that's what he called it. It's when you stretch both legs out to the sides and then reach forward as far as you can. We also reached for each foot. We did a cross legged stretch as well. We eventually laid down on our backs and did the Corpse Pose. I found that to be an interesting name for the pose since I didn't feel like I was in a corpse position. Our hands were out by our sides and corpses always seem to have their hands up on their chests, but anyway......The cool down was pretty easy.

BodyMedia Screen Shot

I only put the BodyMedia Workout tab screen shot in here since the other screen shot doesn't really show much and it's hard to figure out where it actually starts and stops because it pretty much says that I didn't do anything. The workout tab didn't count anything I did as activity. I was sweating and breathing heavy, but apparently that's not activity. I really want my heart rate monitor! It did realize that I was burning at a higher rate than just sitting on the couch though. Normally I burn 1.6 per minute so that would have been in the 50s, but this has 103. I still think it was probably more! 


1 comment:

  1. Well dear I always used DVD’s to learn new poses of yoga, but now I have decided to join popular Thousand Oaks Yoga Classes as my friend shared I can lose weight at fast rate if I join yoga classes.

    ReplyDelete