Thursday, March 20, 2014

The Biggest Loser Winning "Fried" Chicken


Last night was my night to cook dinner and chicken breasts were on sale at Safeway, so I went with The Biggest Loser Winning "Fried" Chicken recipe. I don't do well with side dishes, but I thought some baby reds and carrots would work okay with fried chicken. This meal wasn't a huge success in this house though.

I was not a fan of the dunking the chicken in yogurt and then putting it in the panko bread crumbs. I kept having to wash my fingers to get the clumps of breadcrumbs off of my fingers. I have yet to master wet hand dry hand. I need both of my hands! Oh well, I got over the process. I got those suckers good and coated in the breakcrumbs. My chicken breasts were bigger than the recipe called for, so I cooked them a bit longer than they suggested. I cooked these in the oven, while I had my carrots and baby reds which were coated in oil and then sprinkled with rosemary, thyme and garlic powder cooking in the convection oven on the counter top. The potatoes and carrots looked super yummy and they finished up right about the time that the chicken did.

The taste test didn't go so well. The bread crumbs were soggy which makes me think I put too much yogurt on them. The potatoes and carrots were over seasoned which was my bad since I didn't measure or use a recipe for those. The texture of the chicken was really good, but there was just no crunch. The fried chicken that I did a few weeks ago was way better. That one was the Garlic Southern Fried Chicken. That one was so much better than this one, that I don't think I will try this version again. I liked the idea of this one since I thought the yogurt would help more breadcrumbs stick to the chicken. As you can tell from the pics, this one has a lot more breadcrumb cover than the other one. More isn't always better though. With less breadcrumbs, I got more crunch on the Garlic Southern Fried Chicken. 

My husband said that he could really taste the yogurt. He wouldn't eat the leftovers either. I made five breasts! I'm stuck eating them or tossing them. I ended up eating one today with the left over carrots and potatoes.  The potatoes were good today, but the carrots were hard and blah. The chicken was better today than it was last night. Last night, I couldn't get the feel of yogurt off of my tongue. I must have really doused that one with the stuff! I think this was my first bad dinner since I started trying to cook healthier meals. 

No comments:

Post a Comment