Monday, February 3, 2014

Walk Away the Pounds 5-Day Fit Walk - Walk & Kick



Today, I woke up and actually wanted to do the walk! It wasn't even because of the blog. I thought it would be best to finish off the 5-Day Fit Walk that I've been doing. It's currently on clearance on the Walk Away the Pounds website. Although it's still a little less at Amazon, plus you can get free shipping.

This DVD starts off with an introduction of how this workout is different than the rest of the Walk Away the Pounds workouts. You'll do some kickboxing type moves and she lets you know how that's the popular thing to be doing at the time. Once again, you've got time to hit play and then go fill up your water bottle.

I liked the set for this one. It was festive and made me think of Christmas even though it wasn't Christmasy. She has her walk instructors in the workout, but the formation of them was a bit distracting at first. One of the people was blocked by the rest of the people and then one of them was way off to the right like she was being segregated for some reason. I notice weird things. The sound on this one was terrible again, and I had a hard time hearing the music while keeping her voice low enough to be comfortable to listen to.

The workout itself starts with marching in place. You then go through the rest of the four basic moves which are side steps, knee lifts and kicks. Once you get through the four basic moves, she has you incorporate your arms into the mix. You raise them over your head, reach them out in front of you and bring them down to your knee as you're doing knee lifts.

Once you're all warmed up, she explains that you'll be doing four kickboxing intervals with the regular walking steps in between. The first interval was bobbing and weaving. She has you plant your feet and then you dip down and shift your weight from leg to leg as if you were trying to dip under a rope. You do this for a bit and you might do some jabs, but I can't remember since I did the workout this morning before work.

In the second interval, you'll do some jabs, uppercuts and speedbags. I'm not a big fan of the speedbag section because she has you shifting your weight from your front leg to your back leg, which is just not comfortable for me. She did say to just plant your feet if you'd prefer that.

The third set is alternating front kicks with back kicks. I loved this part, but she had you step forward before the first front kick which messed with my head and then I missed a few sets of kicks while I figured out what she was doing. That's my own issue though because. I'm not really good with seeing someone and reversing it in my head.

The fourth set wasn't really kickboxing in my mind. She did four knee lifts on the same leg and then jab four times. Then she did two knee lifts and two jabs. Finally she did one knee lift and one jab before switching side and doing it all over again.

After the final interval of kickboxing, she did more walking. The walking intervals had the four basic steps as well as kickbacks, tap outs, double side steps, walking up two counts and back two counts, and doing knee lifts while moving forward four counts and back four counts, mini squats and tapping her heal in front of her. She also used her arms in a variety of ways including clapping while doing double side steps, raising hands over the head and pulling them down, and reaching her hands out to the side and then crossing them in front almost like hugging herself before moving them back.

The cool down was pretty quick and consisted of a couple stretches over the head and then a calf and hamstring stretch that seems to be the norm.

There are no mile markers in this one, but she did make a comment when at the halfway point. I liked that this video was different than the rest, and I think it's a good stepping stone into something like a kickboxing program like Tae-Bo, but I wouldn't call this a kickboxing routine. I was huffing and puffing as normal for me, but once again, the professional walkers in this DVD had their perma-smiles plastered on. Leslie was sweating like crazy, but she managed to talk the entire workout and never get out of breath. She was pretty good about describing what was coming next and how many moves you had left before you would go on to the next thing. I really like this part. I have done so many routines where people just count out the sets, but you never know when you're going to move to the next thing until you actually move to the next thing.  My shoulders got rather sore during the workout and I came close to giving up on the self hug type maneuver, but I kept at it because right when I was about to quit, she said that it would only be four more. I could handle four more!

Below are my BodyMedia screen shots. This didn't have the same amount of vigorous activity as the workout from Friday, but it's important to mix things up. This routine really got my arms sore, but wasn't as vigorous of a workout. The big tall blue blip on the left is the workout. The rest of the stuff is me walking around at work. Although, there is a spot in the 9:00 AM hour that I'm rather proud of. I had to scan a bunch of stuff into our photocopier at work. Instead of just standing there while doing it, I did side steps while doing it! I got several extra steps for the day as well as calories burned!

On a side note....When I logged in to get the screen shot for the day, there was a red banner discussing a sale of over 35% on armband packages including free shipping and 12 months of free subscription services. This sale is better than what you can get through my referral link so here's the link without the referral. 


No comments:

Post a Comment