Thursday, February 13, 2014

To Weigh, or not to Weigh....That is the question



The scale seems to be the most common indicator of our progress on this weight loss journey, but so many experts tell you that you shouldn't weigh yourself too often. If you weigh yourself too much, then you'll get upset about the natural fluctuations in your body and it could derail you. 



I disagree with the experts. I think it's important to know about the natural fluctuations in your weight. If I didn't weigh myself every day, I wouldn't have learned that the day after a hard strength training workout, I gain at least two pounds. The day that the pain stops, is the day that I'm in the bathroom constantly getting rid of that water weight. I learned something from the discovery. Never do an intense strength training workout within two days of my weigh day. I can do it on weigh day, but I can't do it within 48 hours prior. If I hadn't learned that, I may have done a weigh day the day after a workout and then gotten all upset that I had gained weight. I have also learned that I retain a crazy amount of water if I eat salty foods. This has taught me to avoid all salty foods such as chips and soups the day before a weigh day. 



I think it's very important to know how your body reacts to the things that you do to it. I have my official weigh day though, and only the weight from that day counts, and I only log that weight. I have a natural fluctuation of about up to 5 pounds. Adding salt and a hard strength training workout on the same day can do some crazy stuff to me! I typically only fluctuate about 2 pounds under normal circumstances. 

(I hope you enjoyed the photography. I always like a little visual stimulation, but didn't have anything exciting to include for this discussion, so I put up some pictures from our hike to the top of Black Butte in Oregon. This was before the blog though so I don't have a review of the hike. It was hard, it was never ending, and the next day I wanted to die. There that's my review.)

No comments:

Post a Comment