Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Leslie Sansone Just Walk - Walk it Off in 30 Days - Burn 30


I woke up in a whole lot of pain from my The Biggest Loser The Workout Boot Camp from yesterday! That workout was crazy for this fat chick. Today, I needed something that was straight up cardio since my legs and my shoulders were on fire! I picked this 30 minute walk from Leslie Sansone and hoped that it was better than the Belly Blasting Walk that I did last week. I was pleasantly surprised and really enjoyed this one.

The DVD has two workouts. One of them is called Burn 30 and the other is called Firm 30. The DVD gives you the option to play them separately or together. I think it even gives the option to do them with just the music, but I could be wrong on that one. I did just the Burn 30. Once you select the workout, you are whisked away to a studio that looks like it has a kitchen in the background. That part was less than pleasant for me. Even seeing healthy apples in the background made me want to ditch the workout and go grab something to eat. I got over that when I started sweating enough.

You start out right away with marching in place. She then takes you through the main steps of the workout. She doesn't call them the four basic moves in this one. She actually does more than just the marching in place, side steps, front kicks and knee lifts. She also teaches you about kick backs, tap outs and cha-cha-chas. The cha-cha-chas are kind of a step forward, a step backwards and then running in place for three counts. It's hard to explain, but easy to do. Once you've gone through all of the basic moves, the pace increases and you bring your arms into the mix. 

She used 2lb hand weights for the walk, but all I have are the weighted balls, so I skipped the weights. The arm movements in this DVD are pretty basic. They mainly involve moving your arms over your head or out to the side. There are times when you alternate them going forward as well. She also has you move them from knee to knee while doing some knee lifts. 

There is a move that she doesn't go over in the beginning or at least I don't remember it in the beginning, but she calls them skaters. You do a side step, but instead of meeting the second leg to the first leg, you tap the second foot behind the first foot. You looks kind of like a speed skater when you do it. There was also walking forward a few paces and back a few paces. The walking turned into jogging. There were some double side steps where you move left twice and then right twice, and also some kick backs while moving forward. 

Overall, I really enjoyed this workout. However, I do miss the walkers being more in my demographic. There are a couple of people my age, but Leslie looks like she's trying to be all trendy and all of the people up front are pretty trendy too. The older people are kind of tucked in the background. The people up front really get into the workouts too, they exaggerate the movements and really make me feel like I'm not putting in enough effort even though I'm huffing and puffing. Tomorrow the plan is to do one of the older 3 mile walks, so we'll see how that goes. 

The back of the DVD has a suggested plan for you to combine these two workouts for 30 days so you can lose weight. They suggest doing the Burn 30 on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and the Firm 30 on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. You have Sunday as a rest day. I think I would get bored very quickly if I were to do the same workout two workouts on alternating days for an entire month.  

Below are my BodyMedia and Nexercise screen shots for the day. The workout is the tallest blue blob on the left. I had a fairly active day at work. I really do have a desk job, but you wouldn't be able to tell from looking at my grid. This might be my highest calorie burn yet. I'm pretty sure it will be my highest step count for a day too. The Nexercise screen shot doesn't have all of the medals on it. I'm not sure what happened, but I never saw them, so I had to go into the calendar view and see my points there. One of these days, I'll write up something on Nexercise. Maybe I should learn more about how it works before I do that! 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment