Sunday, April 6, 2014

The Biggest Loser Avocado and Apple Chicken Salad and my husband's Chef's Salad


The picture above is my The Biggest Loser Avocado and Apple Chicken Salad from dinner tonight. I'm pretty sure that it's supposed to be a side dish, but I put more lettuce on the plate and used about a third of the other stuff instead of a quarter. Making this was a little annoying since it used a lot of ingredients, but not much of any of them. Finding fresh mint was not easy, nor was it cheap. I only need 1-1/2 teaspoons and spent $3.00 to get it. I'm not sure what to do with the rest of the mint either. One of the reasons that I made this was because of the avocado. I have wanted to get avocado into my life, but haven't found a place for it yet. I keep buying it and then never making anything with it. I was determined to use the last avocado that I bought. 

So after chopping up a bunch of stuff and throwing it all into the bowl, it was time to eat it. My husband said that he liked it and it was one of the most flavorful things that I've made. While I'm happy that he liked it, if he thought this was one of the most flavorful things that I've ever made, then the rest of my cooking must have no flavor! I wasn't a big fan of this. It might be better with a less ripe avocado. My husband also suggested using a chilled avocado if we make this again. I was okay with everything except the chunks of avocado. I can't really explain why I don't like avocado. It didn't have a bad flavor and it didn't have a bad texture, but I just didn't like it. There was this certain nothingness to it that just left me feeling odd.  


The picture above is my husband's chef salad. It had 50/50 spring mix salad greens, hard boiled eggs, cucumbers and diced up turkey lunch meat. I put some homemade dressing on it. I liked my husband's salad a lot more than I liked the one that I made. The eggs would have been better if they had been salted, but the overall flavor and texture of the salad was better than mine. I've been wanting to find ways to fancy up a salad to make it more edible and to give me variety, but i spent a small fortune on ingredients for my salad and didn't like it. His salad used up ingredients that most people would already have or could get cheaply, and it was better than mine. Lessons learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment