Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Hannah's Turkey Stuffed Peppers


I found this on the Jennie-O site, but I think it's a The Biggest Loser recipe. I didn't bother looking for it on their site though since I could send you to the Jennie-O site for the recipe. I have never made stuffed peppers before, but for some reason, I really wanted to make them. I was going to make these a couple Sundays ago, but my peppers went bad! My backup meal that night went in the garbage and we had left over burritos. My husband bought peppers this weekend, but hadn't cooked them yet, so I asked if he had plans for them. He said he didn't, so I made stuffed peppers! 

I scoured the Internet looking for recipes. There is an over abundance of stuffed pepper recipes, but I didn't have the ingredients for a lot of them. We only had a small amount of left over rice, and I knew I didn't have time to cook more rice, so I tried to avoid the ones that required a lot of rice. I picked the Jennie-O one because it seemed simple and didn't include rice at all. 

The prep turned out to be very easy. I had always thought that stuffed peppers were difficult to make. Apparently, I was wrong! The recipe called for three red peppers, but he bought the red, orange and yellow bag, so I made one red, one orange and one yellow. We each ate one side of the red and one side of the orange. The yellow is my least favorite color. I had intended to make a side dish of Parmesan green beans, but we decided to just eat two servings of the peppers. At only 170 calories per serving, it was still a pretty low calorie dinner. 

I really liked this recipe. The peppers were super sweet and the meat had a bit of spice to offset the sweet. I will make this again, but I think I'll experiment with the stuffing. I was reading a blog with a recipe on it and people in the comments talked about adding black beans instead of rice and using salsa instead of tomato sauce. That sounded super yummy to me! I might have to have stuffed peppers once a week and come up with different stuff inside. I could do a Mexican theme or an Italian theme or some other theme. Oh my brain is working now! I don't usually experiment with food, but this seems like you can't really mess it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment