Saturday, February 15, 2014

Walk Away the Pounds - 3 Mile Super Fat Burning


I picked this workout specifically because the next day was my weigh day and I didn't want to put a strain on any of my muscles which would cause pain and water retention. Please keep reading to find out how big of a mistake that was! 

Once you hit play, there will be an intro video and then she starts talking, so you've got time to fill up your water. Just make sure your feet are moving while she's talking. The workout begins with the four basic steps which are marching in place, knee lifts, side steps and front kicks. Once you go through those a couple times, you add your arms into it. The arms mainly go up and down or straight out in front of you. There are some lateral raises, but I think those are further in. 

Once you're about 1.5 miles into it, she has you pick up the weighted balls. I don't have them, so I didn't use them. I'm actually glad that I didn't have them because the arm part of this without the balls was pretty intense. My shoulders were burning when it was all done. I didn't have shoulder pain the next day though. 

You carry the weights for about a mile. In that time, you'll raise your arms up over your head, push them out in front of you and do lateral raises all while still doing the four basic moves. After a mile, you put the weights down and start moving slower. After 3 miles you go into a cool down. The cool down is very short. It's just some inhaling and exhaling while moving your arms up over your head,. Then you turn to the side and do a leg stretch. 

There are some times in this where she talks and talks while you're doing front kicks, and I'm thinking about how much I wish she would just shut up so I could stop doing front kicks! I did manage to get through all of the moves without giving up. She's pretty good about telling you when you have four or eight moves left to go and what you'll be doing next. There was one part where she had you move your legs out and set you up to do knee lifts. She even talked about how doing it at this angle changes things up and brings in more muscle, but then she went into kickbacks instead of knee lifts. About a half mile into it, my calves were killing me! I kept going though. 

The DVD has a marker at every half mile. Leslie Sansone announces each full mile achievement. She gives you some motivational little chat too. It's mainly stuff like if you made it through one mile, you can make it through one more. If you need to slow down so you can get through the whole thing that's fine. 

Overall, I found this DVD to be rather repetitive. There was little to change things up in this one. Things beyond the four basic moves included knee lifts with your feet shoulder length apart and double side steps. Other DVDs have had walking forward, doing knee lifts going forward, doing side steps going forward, double knee lifts, tap outs and some other stuff, but this one didn't have any of that. You just kept going through the four basic moves over and over again. I was a bit disappointed in the DVD, but then like 3 hours later, I was sitting at work and realize that my legs were kind of like Jell-o. It wasn't quite like doing The Biggest Loser Power X-Train, but it was enough to make me think that today would be a bit painful. Turns out that I'm not sore today, but I do feel a slight weakness in my leg muscles. It's kind of how I felt on day three of recovery from the Power X-Train DVD. I'm sure I'm retaining some water and my official weigh day weight will be higher than it was last week, and that just sucks! 

Other Leslie Sansone DVDs

Below are my BodyMedia screen shots and my Nexercise screen shots for the day. 



1 comment:

  1. Walk Away Pounds - 3 Mile Super Fat-Burning is an incredible workout! Leslie Sansone's guidance and enthusiasm are infectious, making the session enjoyable and effective. How Guard Business The mix of low-impact moves and calorie-burning intensity makes it perfect for fitness enthusiasts of all levels.

    ReplyDelete